- HIsarna is a technology developed by a consortium of European Steelmakers aims at a reduced CO2 emission by 50%.
- The HIsarna process is based on batch smelting. It combines pre heating and partial pyrolysis of coal in a cyclone were the ore melts. The melting vessel where iron is collected also reduces the ore.
- Biomass, natural gas and/or hydrogen may be used as alternatives to coal.
- In this project the melt and reduction behaviour of particles in the process is being studied.
- This knowledge is essential for the up scaling of the process.
- A pilot plant for the HIsarna steelmaking process is being built on the Tata Steel site in IJmuiden.
- The design of the pilot plant is based on the research results of the project.