- Weld deformations is one of the key challenges within the welding activities at a shipyard is to cope with.
- This project aims to quantify the reasons for possible weld deformation mechanisms and find solutions to minimize/eliminate these deformations to enable weight reduction by using plates with smaller thickness.
- Development of predictive tools (FE-model).
- Investigation and quantifications of distortions mechanisms.
- Elimination/reduction of distortions by optimising welding parameters & sequence.
- Development of guidelines & design rules.
- Test panel distortion was successfully simulated: both qualitative & quantitative agreement resulted.
- Butt welds were identified as most dominant cause for buckling.
- Equivalent model gives good approximation of the lateral shrinkage and is useful for industrial (design) practice.
- The results led to optimization and formulation of guidelines.